Netgear AC 1900 WiFi Mesh Extender model Ex6400 increases the WiFi range by enhancing the signal over a distance. An extender repeats the signal coming from an existing router and make it available around a larger area.
Moreover, you can also get to know the statistics of the signal strength by using a third-party app. In the below section, we will discuss the methods of the Netgear Ex6400 setup. If you are a novice in using and setting up the extender, just go through the next part carefully and follow the instructions carefully.
Methods to Set Up Netgear WiFi Extender EX6400:
The Netgear Extender EX6400 works in two modes that are Extender mode and Access Point mode. In the further sections, we will deal with the two modes and how you could set up the extender using those.
Method #1: Setup Using the Extender Mode
Extender mode enables enhances the signal strength by repeating the signal from an existing WiFi router. To use this mode, switch on the Extender button on the device. Make sure you have connected it to a power source and the device is placed within the router signal zone.
To establish the WiFi range extension, connect the extender to a WiFi network. This can be done in two ways i.e Connect with WPS(WiFi Protected Setup) and Connect with Netgear Installation Assistant. Hence, have a look at the steps for both of the ways.
Connect with WPS
- Press the WPS button on both the extender and the router. You can also see the WPS LED would light up as green on both the devices.
- After establishing the connection, you can unplug the extender and relocate it to a new place.
Note: It is best to keep the extender on a place in between the router and your PC or Mobile. But make sure, it is not beyond the reach of the router’s signal.
- Plug back the extender into a power socket and wait until the Power LED will light green.
- When the router LED turns green, find the place where the signal strength is optimal.
- Now connect your device to a WiFi network and make sure that you connect to the right WiFi network as the name for both the Router and Extender is the same. The only difference is that the extender WiFi network name contains _EXT at the end of its name.
Connect with the Netgear Installation Assistant
In this way, you can easily connect your mobile or desktop to the extender using an ethernet or WiFi connection. So, if you are using an ethernet connection, connect the extender to your WiFi-enabled device using an ethernet cable. On the other hand, you can even connect your device to the extender using WiFi. When the connection establishes, the client Link LED will light up green. After that, follow the next steps mentioned-below.
- Launch the web browser on your computer.
- The Netgear installation assistant page will show up.
- Follow the instructions to connect your extender to the WiFi network.
- Plugin the router and the extender and make sure to place the router in a position where the signal strength is optimal.
- You can use the Router Link LED to choose the place where the signal is high.
- After you connect the extender to the WiFi network, connect your wired device to the same network.
Method #2: Netgear Ex6400 Setup using Access Point Mode
Follow the steps mentioned below to set up the extender using the access point mode.
- Set the Access Point/Extender switch to the Access Point.
- The extender must be plugged into a power socket and look if the Power LED turns green after pressing the Power button.
- Establish a WiFi or Ethernet connection between your PC or mobile and the extender.
- The next step is to open the browser on your PC or mobile.
- The Netgear installation assistant page will automatically open up.
- Connect the router to the extender using an ethernet cable.
- Now get back the Netgear Ex6400 setup page on the browser and follow the on screen instructions to finish the setup process.
- The next step is to log in to access extender settings.
- For that, type “http;//www.mywifiext.net” in the web address and a new login will open.
- Enter all the fields to create an account and then, login to the account with the information.
The above discussion is all about how you can perform the Netgear Ex6400 setup easily without any hassle. We hope you have done the setup process completely. If you still have any doubts or unable to understand any point, you can ask the same in our comment section below.